Monday, April 18, 2011

Online Music-Listening Changing the World

 Access to all the world's music with just a few mouse clicks - this is what it's all coming to.   Lack of liner text notes and questionable copyright/royalty issues aside, for now, a plethora of online services, some free and all very inexpensive, is transforming the music education and listening experience.  The advantages that students and professionals have as a direct result of this new streaming world are astounding, albeit sometimes overwhelming.   I list some of the main online music services below.
        Personally, I use Rhapsody for listening and researching, Pandora for making new connections and getting ideas.  Rhapsody streams through my computer to a high quality audio amp and speaker system, while Pandora streams by way of my BlueRay player and TV to another high quality audio system but there are many other ways to set it up.  ( none is particularly difficult)  If I need a hard copy I just either stream directly to an external CD burner or to Apple Logic then burn a CD using iTunes.  When I'm out and about I stream Rhapsody to my iPhone.    Rhapsody costs  about $13 per month for unlimited listening and Pandora is free.     Below are the some of the most visible online music services to check out.  Some are music databases, while some behave more like radio stations. YouTube is also a remarkable source when researching music though you have to wade through a lot of swampland.

  Rhapsody
  Pandora
  Grooveshark
  YouTube
  Playlist
  Mindawn
  Napster
  Rdio
  Jango
  Mog

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave comments here!